Uncovered White House Letter Tells Media How To React To House Republicans’ Impeachment Of President Biden.
White House’s Message to News Media
- The Biden administration is set to dispatch a letter to key news organizations like CNN, the New York Times, and Fox News, encouraging heightened scrutiny of House Republicans and their decision to initiate an impeachment inquiry they claim is grounded in falsehoods.
Ian Sams, a spokesperson for the White House Counsel’s Office wrote:
“It’s time for the media to ramp up its scrutiny of House Republicans for opening an impeachment inquiry based on lies.”
Sams would continue, saying:
“Covering impeachment as a process story – Republicans say X, but the White House says Y – is a disservice to the American public who relies on the independent press to hold those in power accountable.”
Adding, “And in the modern media environment, where every day liars and hucksters peddle disinformation and lies everywhere from Facebook to Fox, process stories that fail to unpack the illegitimacy of the claims on which House Republicans are basing all their actions only serve to generate confusion, put false premises in people’s feeds, and obscure the truth.”
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has commanded an inquiry into President Biden’s supposed ties to his son, Hunter Biden’s overseas business engagements.
- McCarthy alleges that investigations divulge President Biden misled Americans about his awareness of his family’s foreign business operations, hinting at an environment of dishonesty.
Media’s Editorial Independence
- The intended White House letter has ignited controversy due to concerns of potential editorial interference.
- This controversy highlights a perceived political bias in the media, particularly if they choose to comply with the White House’s requests.
- It is evident that the White House is making a concerted effort to bolster President Biden’s 2024 re-election prospects, a move that comes as his age and performance draw increased scrutiny and his poll numbers continue to decline.