By terren in Virginia - flickr, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3776214

A University of Virginia student is suing the school for banning him from campus as a violent threat after he calmly questioned an official’s definition of “microaggression.”

Reason magazine reports:

Kieran Bhattacharya is a student at the University of Virginia (UVA) School of Medicine. On October 25, 2018, he attended a panel discussion on the subject of microaggressions. Dissatisfied with the definition of a microaggression offered by the presenter—Beverly Cowell Adams, an assistant dean—Bhattacharya raised his hand…

… “Thank you for your presentation,” said Bhattacharya, according to an audio recording of the event. “I had a few questions, just to clarify your definition of microaggressions. Is it a requirement, to be a victim of microaggression, that you are a member of a marginalized group?”

Adams replied that it wasn’t a requirement.

Bhattacharya suggested that this was contradictory, since a slide in her presentation had defined microaggressions as negative interactions with members of marginalized groups. Adams and Bhattacharya then clashed for a few minutes about how to define the term. It was a polite disagreement. Adams generally maintained that microaggression theory was a broad and important topic and that the slights caused real harm. Bhattacharya expressed a scientific skepticism that a microaggression could be distinguished from an unintentionally rude statement.

After the event assistant professor, Nora Kern filed a “professionalism concern card”
against Bhattacharya, claiming he was “quite antagonistic” and showed “so little respect toward faculty members.”

Kern also claimed “his level of frustration/anger seemed to escalate,” a claim which is not supported by recordings of the event, which show Bhattacharya never losing his temper or expressing frustration.

That led to a personal visit by an assistant dean, who claimed “I simply want to help you understand and be able to cope with unintended consequences of conversations.”

When Bhattacharya still failed to submit to liberal dogma, he was ordered to attend mental health counseling and was reported to university police as a violent threat.

Reason reports:

The student was informed that he must be evaluated by psychological services before returning to classes. Bhattacharya repeatedly asked university officials to clarify what exactly he was accused of, under whose authority his counseling had been mandated, and why his enrollment status was suddenly in doubt, according to the lawsuit. These queries only appear to have made UVA officials more determined to punish him: Bhattacharya’s mounting frustration with these baseless accusations of unspecified wrongdoings was essentially treated as evidence that he was guilty. At his hearing, he was accused of being “extremely defensive” and ordered to change his “aggressive, threatening behavior.”

He was ultimately suspended for “aggressive and inappropriate interactions in multiple situations.” On December 30, UVA police ordered him to leave campus.

Bhattacharya is suing the university for violating his First Amendment rights, and courts have ruled he has a case.

“Bhattacharya sufficiently alleges that Defendants retaliated against him,” Judge Norman Moon ruled. “Indeed, they issued a Professionalism Concern Card against him, suspended him from UVA Medical School, required him to undergo counseling and obtain ‘medical clearance’ as a prerequisite for remaining enrolled, and prevented him from appealing his suspension or applying for readmission.”

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of AmericanActionNews.com

Michael Brigham has written for American Action News since the summer of 2019. His areas of expertise include foreign affairs, government, and politics, but regardless of the subject matter, he has a nose and an insatiable appetite for news. In his free time, he enjoys reading nonfiction, watching a mix of comedies and true crime documentaries, and spending time away from the swamp hiking in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

LaserRay
LaserRay
1 year ago

Anyone who disagrees with these leftist nut jobs is considered to be an aggressive domestic terrorist. They are rewriting the dictionary of what is allowable in society and unfortunately not enough people have the backbone to stand up to them!

Dan Tyree
Dan Tyree
Reply to  LaserRay

That’s what I’ve been saying

v steve
v steve
Reply to  LaserRay

white peoples fault.

Charles LeFurge
Charles LeFurge
1 year ago

The left is nothing but a bunch of illiterate Nazis.

al finnell
al finnell
1 year ago

NO CATHOLIC is my ‘bro’. I am an American! NO Catholic is an American. They may be citizens, never Americans. Most CATHOLIC have never read the Constitution of the USA OR the bi-babble!

MikeyW
MikeyW
Reply to  al finnell

Excuse me, I am Catholic and have read both the US Constitution and the Bible (Douay-Rhiems, King James, and several more modern translations), probably well before you were born. Where are the facts to back up your assertions? Given your animus, I doubt any Catholic (or other intelligent person) would even want to be your “bro.”

Rosco Cain
Rosco Cain
Reply to  MikeyW

He’s a TROLL trying to get attention. Ignore him and he will go away.

Recce1
Recce1
Reply to  al finnell

Why the puerile animus against Catholics? And why are you so benighted as to what an American is? Can we also surmise that you’re an atheist apologist?

bkbht
bkbht
Reply to  al finnell

Hey, Al, isn’t this a continuation of something you said in another post a few days ago. Why the animus against a religion which is conservative and against almost everything that’s happening now from abortion to censorship and control to trans-everything to the open border I don’t happen to be Catholic and feel this is not really what should be in this comment sestion. Most PEOPLE in general have not read the constitution and it certainly isn’t being taught in our public school systems and colleges! Remember, where there is EVIL, there WILL be judgment! Let’s work together against that evil that’s in the government today.

Anita Wasemann
Anita Wasemann
Reply to  bkbht

Yeah, I read his rant yesterday, too. Apparently, this is an unhealthy obsession, perhaps brought on by the isolation of the government-created lockdown.
I am not happy with the current leadership of our Roman Catholic Faith, but this, too, shall pass. The Faith will survive.
Al is very scary. I hope his family is keeping an eye on him. He needs help, pray for him.

Rosco Cain
Rosco Cain
Reply to  Anita Wasemann

He’s a TROLL trying to get attention. Ignore him and he will go away.

Rosco Cain
Rosco Cain
Reply to  bkbht

He’s a TROLL trying to get attention. Ignore him and he will go away.

Michael
Michael
Reply to  al finnell

Boy you are IGNORANT!!! I am a disabled veteran, combat wounded, I am also Catholic, for you to bad mouth me, well, I would kick your ass into next year!!!
You sound to me like you are a DEMENTED COWARD!!! You need to educate yourself!!! You also sound STUPID!!! Just kill yourself!!!

Rosco Cain
Rosco Cain
Reply to  Michael

He’s a TROLL trying to get attention. Ignore him and he will go away.

DianeLynn
DianeLynn
Reply to  al finnell

I am Catholic and also a strong conservative as are many of my family and Catholic friends. I am also a veteran as are my uncles and my late husband, all were Catholics. You, al, are an ignorant fool and some might suspect you as a KKK member or at least a sympathizer.

Rosco Cain
Rosco Cain
Reply to  al finnell

WOW, did you know that Adolph Hitler, Karl Marx, Mao, Castro and Hugo Chavez SAID THE SAME THING? You are in good company,,,Al.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  al finnell

I’d like to dispute your contention that NO Catholic is an American. I am Catholic, have always been catholic, retired from the military, and my conservatism is just to the right of Attila the Hun. I have a copy of the Constitution at my desk, at which I am typing this response. Please do not lump all people together, we’re all individuals. That’s exactly what the libs do!!!

Mena