Outrage Grows As Biden Sends Maui, Hawaii A Pathetic 0.07% Of Aid That Ukraine Received
Aid to Ukraine
- President Joe Biden is requesting an additional $24 billion in aid for Ukraine, which would increase the total U.S. taxpayer-funded aid to Ukraine since February 2022 to $135 billion.
- The Department of Defense announced another package of military assistance to Ukraine worth $250 million.
- In July, at a NATO summit, Biden highlighted that the U.S. has provided more money to Ukraine than all other nations combined.
Aid to Maui After Fire
- Biden announced a $95 million aid package from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law for rebuilding Maui after a deadly fire claimed more than 115 lives and left hundreds missing.
- This aid ($95 million) is less than one-tenth of one percent of the $135 billion requested for Ukraine.
- Preliminary estimates indicate it will cost over $5.52 billion to rebuild Lahaina, which was destroyed in the fire.
- At least 2,207 structures in Lahaina were damaged or destroyed, 86% being homes.
Criticism of Aid Distribution
- Biden offered Maui households affected by the fire a one-time payment of $700 each, which was criticized as “laughable” by a Maui resident involved in grassroots relief efforts.
- This amount is less than the $900 each household spends on the Ukraine war, according to a calculation by a budget expert at the Heritage Foundation.