Monday, March 30, 2020

Special Forces Tried and Failed to Kill Second Iranian Commander

U.S. special operations forces tried and failed to kill another commander in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards the same night a Predator Drone dispatched Quds Force leader Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

Per Fox News:
 

The covert mission in Yemen, which was first reported Friday by The Washington Post, was directed at Abdul Reza Shahla’i, a commander and financier whom the State Department says was at the center of the botched 2011 plot to assassinate a Saudi ambassador on U.S. soil.

“We have seen the report of a January 2 airstrike in Yemen, which is long-understood as a safe space for terrorists and other adversaries to the United States,” Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich, a Pentagon spokeswoman, told Fox News. “The Department of Defense does not discuss alleged operations in the region.”

U.S. officials that spoke to The Washington Post declined to offer details of the airstrike that failed to take out Shahla’i, but one said, “if we had killed him, we’d be bragging about it that same night.”

Last month, the State Department offered a $15 million reward for information leading to Shahla’i and the disruption of the Iran Revolutionary Guards’ financial apparatus. The U.S. has accused the military unit of financially assisting terrorist groups like Hezbollah and becoming involved in world conflicts through the use of proxy forces.

Shahla’i planned several assassinations of U.S.-coalition forces during the Iraq War, provided weapons and material to America’s enemies, and orchestrated a January 20, 2007 attack in Karbala, Iraq, killing five U.S. service members.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

People, Places & Things

- Advertisment -

Must Read

Trish Regan Says Goodbye to Fox Business

49
Longtime Fox Business host Trish Regan left the network for good over the weekend. Regan's unceremonious departure followed her coverage of the coronavirus pandemic, where...

TAKE OUR POLL