Joe Ravi via Wikimedia Commons

A top official in the American Catholic Church has now been forced to resign after it was revealed that they were secretly active on the app ‘GRINDR’ which acts as a hookup app for gay men.

As Pillar Catholic reports:

Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill, former general secretary of the U.S. bishops’ conference, announced his resignation Tuesday, after The Pillar found evidence the priest engaged in serial sexual misconduct, while he held a critical oversight role in the Catholic Church’s response to the recent spate of sexual abuse and misconduct scandals.

“It is with sadness that I inform you that Msgr. Jeffrey Burrill has resigned as General Secretary of the Conference,” Archbishop Jose Gomez wrote July 20 in a memo to U.S. bishops.

“On Monday, we became aware of impending media reports alleging possible improper behavior by Msgr. Burrill. What was shared with us did not include allegations of misconduct with minors. However, in order to avoid becoming a distraction to the operations and ongoing work of the Conference, Monsignor has resigned effective immediately,” Gomez added.

Burrill was elected general secretary of the U.S. bishops’ conference in November 2020. In that role, Burrill was effectively the highest-ranking American cleric who is not a bishop.

In recent years a seeming epidemic of Catholic priests sexually misbehaving has become a scourge on the Catholic Church itself, leading many to wonder whether it can still be trusted as a voice of authority on moral issues.

jjofaz
jjofaz

If you are Catholic, the only one to follow is God and your heart because the church is constantly sending mixed messages. We are all sinners, but it seems the higher you are in the Catholic Church, the more glaring the offense. (And that includes the Pope.) Just what else is the church hiding?

Dan Tyree
Dan Tyree
Reply to  jjofaz

I’ll stick with the southern baptists

Catherine
Catherine
1 month ago
Reply to  Dan Tyree

None are perfect!

Barbie
Barbie
1 month ago
Reply to  jjofaz

That’s why it’s wise to follow God’s word and not words of men.

Christopher Mcgrath
Christopher Mcgrath
1 month ago
Reply to  Barbie

And where do you find God’s words. Answer, in the Bible. And who wrote the Bible? Answer MEN

Theno1skinsfan
Theno1skinsfan
1 month ago
Reply to  jjofaz

You have no idea how much it pained me to give you the thumbs or Plus sign up. As a Catholic, I hate that you are right, but you are.

Oldclimber
Oldclimber
1 month ago

What ??? “Distraction” ???!!! I hope God views my sins and waywardness as a distraction when it come my time to be judged. And I may note that nothing I have done along those lines was cause for death under the Old Testament.

eddy
eddy
1 month ago
Reply to  Oldclimber

well as a catholic I follow my heart and my believes in god, if a priest makes this type of sins ,is betweent him and god, it does not change my faith so I still feel a catholic

Geoffrey Capco
Geoffrey Capco
1 month ago
Reply to  eddy

I agree. You cannot allow someone else’s sins become cause for you to leave your faith! I believe in Jesus Christ my Lord an savior and He alone will judge me and all of mankind!

Theno1skinsfan
Theno1skinsfan
1 month ago
Reply to  eddy

I agree with you three but the bottom line is that it makes it easier for others to attack our faith and thereby us for believing in it.

Captain Kublai
Captain Kublai
1 month ago

All those who claim to be possessors of God’s truth, but give you pomp and circumstance, and false news, are only skilled fakirs (look it up, it’s not misspelled). Most organized religions fall into that category. Some much worse than others. Catholic is somewhere in the middle. All this sexual fake outrage is funny. Probably comes from jealousy and secret unattained fantasies on the part of the “outraged”.