Thursday, August 6, 2020

WATCH: Prominent Republican Calls for Nationwide Mask Order

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez (R) is bucking many in his party today by calling for a nationwide mask mandate, saying it’s “no different than being forced to wear a seatbelt.”

Mediaite’s Rudy Takala reports:

“I hear a lot of people that say it’s an infringement on our liberty, that we should have the freedom to do as we please. My response to that is, wait a minute. This is a country of laws,” Suarez said in a virtual interview with Politico. “To me, it’s not a question of calling anybody out. It’s more I think we should have a uniform policy.”

WATCH:

Miami-Dade County has imposed some of the strictest measures in the nation to combat a surge in coronavirus infections, including an eight-hour curfew at night and a requirement that residents wear face coverings even in outdoor areas. County Mayor Carlos Gimenez additionally signed an order on Tuesday to require residents to wear masks while working out inside gyms and to prohibit indoor dining at restaurants.

The measures have proven relatively ineffective to date. Florida’s Department of Health said the state experience 9,989 confirmed new cases of the virus on Tuesday — the fourth-highest daily total this year — with 2,916 of those in Miami-Dade County. The state’s total number of confirmed cases stood at 223,783 as of July 8, though Gimenez suggested this week the estimate may represent just a tenth of the real number.

Suarez, 42, was first elected on November 7, 2017 — with 86 percent of the vote.

Have you worn facemasks during the coronavirus pandemic to reduce the risk of transmission? What do you make of Republican governors like Greg Abbott of Texas and Jim Justice of West Virginia who’ve issued face mask requirements? Let us know in the comments below!

(Video H/T Politico)

Support the Landmark Lawsuit Against Antifa

37 COMMENTS

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Gary Dahms
Gary Dahms
28 days ago

My wife and I wear masks when shopping.

G Ouimet
G Ouimet
Reply to  Gary Dahms

Its the responsibility of each district to set rule and enforce them. You can’t make national rule over the country as each area have their own need. Why punish people when there is no case near and the area may not have any cases at all. Lol at Alaska versus Florida it sur is different situation and why put more stress on people that it’s not required.

Bob L.
Bob L.
Reply to  Gary Dahms

I wore one for the first time last Friday after Governor Abbott issued his order. I put it on as I step through the door at a store and remove it as I step out. Mine is a statement, not a safe guard since I breath all around it because of the message taped across most of it. Mine reads: “This is not a face mask. It is a symbolic gag on our freedoms.:

Oleo Ranch
Oleo Ranch
Reply to  Gary Dahms

Gary, you do realize that by wearing masks, you are helping to insure that you don’t give the virus to US. It doesn’t help keep YOU safe. But thanks for making me safer.

jack stone
Reply to  Oleo Ranch

“IF” the “masks” REALLY work,(as you apparently have been “conned” into believing) The (so called) “virus” should NOT be able to gain entry. Beside all of that crap, it has been stated by a LOT of (so called) “professionals”,that the “virus” cannot live in the open air. So, “if” (as you think”) your mask really works, you should feel safe and secure whether others wear masks or not. I am 82 years “young” and have been through MANY “flu” seasons (same crap,different day) All I have EVER done is exercise caution and wash my hands. YEP! that IS where viruses (any and all) viruses are most likely to enter your system ! I NEVER subjected myself to “flu shots” EVER,And have NEVER had the flu. Remember,Those who surrender their freedom for security deserve neither !

A. D Roberts
Reply to  Gary Dahms

Not everyone is able to wear a mask. Simply put, some people don’t get enough air to live through a mask And the NEXT thing that is more important is that even the claims of those who want everyone to wear masks is that they DO NOT PROTECT THE PERSON WEARING THE MASK FROM GETTING THE VIRUS. After they find problems with NOT getting the desired results, I fully expect the government to DEMAND that each person BUY a certified mask from the government that meets the demands of the bureaucrats.
Yes, it is a matter of personal freedom. But then, we crossed that line when John Roberts, the traitor, declared that forcing us to buy insurance was REALLY JUST A TAX. Of course, a lot of people including minorities, GET THEIR TAX PAID FOR BY THE GOVERNMENT.
And then there is the quality of the health care we now get. No, I did not get health care. They cancelled my cardiac rehab in order to use those nurses for a surge of corona viruses that did not occur for THREE MONTHS.

George
George
Reply to  A. D Roberts

I went to the doctor and had very low oxygen level and was given a card for my wallet the says I am exempt.

Dan Winright
Dan Winright
28 days ago

The mask is a ineffective joke.
Wont stop drywall dust.
Wont stop concrete dust
Wont stop sawdust.
Definitely wont stop a virus.
Wont stop you from looking like a fool either.

Mark
Mark
Reply to  Dan Winright

I won’t wear a mask, the Seat belt law is a Frigging joke as well. the only time it MIGHT save you is if you have a head on crash and both cars are going slow enough so that steering wheel isn’t Driven through your chest. You are PINNED in place with NO place to go. if you are T BONED you are DEAD sorry but I don’t wear a Seat Belt either. as an X Auto Claims Adjuster I’ve seen to many deaths FROM wearing that damn belt. ANOTHER Control factor of the GOVT.

Jerome Simon
28 days ago

I agree 100% with the person above,they do not help in any way, I have not worn a mask and will not start now!

Farmer
Farmer
Reply to  Jerome Simon

In Oxford MS, we cannot buy or sell without a mask. I read something in Revelations about that once!!!

Mark Kowitz
Mark Kowitz
28 days ago

It IS different than seatbelt laws! I can choose not to drive, Besides, seatbelt laws are state not federal laws.

Mark
Mark
Reply to  Mark Kowitz

NO Mark the Seat Belt law is a FEDERAL. the Feds said they would withhold Federal Highway funds if the states did not enforce Seat belt laws.

Mikey
Mikey
Reply to  Mark Kowitz

You’re right. It’s not federal law. It’s federal blackmail. See Mark’s reply below.

al
al
28 days ago

The mask thing is not about protecting anyone it is about government control just like comuinist China !

Dan Miller
Dan Miller
28 days ago

Just because seat belts are ” required ” a lot of people refuse to wear them mainly because of the air bags in today’s cars and trucks . It called freedom of choice right !!!!!! If you are caught speeding on the high ways ,you get ticked you must the consequence of that action, the same here with these masks

Mark
Mark
Reply to  Dan Miller

if you want to be a SHEEP go ahead and be controlled by the Communist NWO politicians.

Maxine Beers
Maxine Beers
28 days ago

I think if you want to ware one fine but dont tell us we have to Besides they say it is not good to ware a mask all the time wake up people this is called control I will not do what they rell me to do this is a free country or did they forget

Stan R
28 days ago

It forces you to rebreathe your own co2 and that is bad for you. It’s a stupid idea, and I won’t wear one. Want a healthy person to get sick….make them wear a mask.

Ollie
Ollie

Sheep be sheep.

Tim Kuehl
Tim Kuehl
Reply to  Ollie

Exactly! We don’t need no stinking rights. We don’t need no stinking freedom. We don’t need no stinking liberty. We don’t need to think for ourselves, make our own decisions, the politicians will take care of all that and tell us what we may or may not do.

Diane V Insalaco
Diane V Insalaco
28 days ago

I live in MS. I go walmart to shop but i see not alot of masks. I have to wear a mask when I go to kessler Air force base because it mandatorey. I don’t have a cough but i wash my hands everyday,

LiberalTearsAreMyVictory

Prominent Republican!?? Never heard of him… soooo if the COVID-19 virus in size in approximately .12microns and cloth masks or bandanas or whatever sheeple are wearing are good for 4-5 microns at best, then that’s like tossing rice at a chain link wire fence. Don’t be lulled into a sense of security. The only masks that are rated for this virus or any for that matter are the N95 or better yet, the N97. These of course should be saved for health care workers or first responders as the supply is not great.
Requiring the population to cover their face is nothing more than “power and control”! Don’t be sheeple!

Charles Foster
Charles Foster
28 days ago

It this is a country of laws then what is with all these executive orders?
Masks are worthless. A virus any virus will go through an N95 mask as easily as a fly through a 2 foot sewer pipe.

Tim Kuehl
Tim Kuehl
Reply to  Charles Foster

Furthermore, a virus can enter our body through the mucus surrounding our eyes. Wear goggles, darn it!

Russ
Russ
28 days ago

“no different than being forced to wear a seatbelt.” The exception being that there are no studies that find a benefit for asymptomatic people to wear a mask, especially these cloth masks. Like trying to keep mosquitoes out with chicken wire.

“Miami-Dade County has imposed some of the strictest measures in the nation to combat a surge in coronavirus infections,”. Measures? Probably would have been more helpful if they would have used more restrictions during the protests.

Mikey
Mikey
28 days ago

Well, Suarez, seat belt laws should not exist either. Ain’t the government’s f***ing business if someone wants to risk his neck without one.

Truckman
Truckman
28 days ago

well I don,t mind wearing a mask but I do it of my own free will because I do think it might help but as far as dam seat belts I think it should be a choice just like it is here is about wearing a helment while riding a motorcycle once you get old enough now as a old bike rider around trafic theres no way I would not wear a helment I have already had my head saved by one but seat belts I have seen both the good and the bad about wearing them but it should be your choice

Bud
Bud
28 days ago

The photo shows the Mayor shoulder to shoulder with two other men and none are wearing masks!
Do as I say but not as I do! Executive amnesty from their own directives!

Chanah
Chanah
Reply to  Bud

You can’t go by photos that are slapped with articles because the age of the photo isn’t given. it does say it was taken from Wikipedia, which means it most-likely pre-dates the whole corona mess. Someone could do a whole expose on the way internet news sources misuse photos and graphics to illustrate “news”. Readers must always make sure to read captions and keep from jumping to conclusions based on images used.

Bob L.
Bob L.

A prominent Republican?
I never heard of him, must be a local personality.

Shasha
Shasha
28 days ago

Masks lower oxygen/raise C02/incubate germs/isolate you from the micro-biome that stimulates the immune system and may not help.

Michael Navarre
Michael Navarre
28 days ago

I wear a mask only when I have to wear one such as going to church or the clubhouse at the golf course only because that is the only way that I can enter those facilities.

Farmer
Farmer

Mark of the beast!

Blama Bill
Blama Bill
28 days ago

Masks are no benefit to a healthy person that isn’t near others. We have had 5 deaths due to the virus in my county of 33,150 people. Our 14 day average is now down to 74 people. Since the nearest house is over 100 feet away, I’m not in the same situation that people living in apartment buildings, and working in office buildings where they have to take an elevator, ride subways and buses. New York City is totally different than living in a small Southern town. I have not found one mask for sale anywhere. Not the drug store, Walmart, or any grocery store. Still $5 a day for masks? That’s the cheapest price. And YES, they are supposed to be changed at least daily. Some people have one they have worn for months! Very unhealthy!

Rodger Shull
Rodger Shull
28 days ago

Those 3 men in the picture at the top of this article, wear are their masks and they do not look 6 ft apart, UMMM a do as I say not as I do, they sound more like rino’s. And seat belts do save lives, and so do masks, but one needs to stay away from others, many are walking sickies. And many do not use proper sanitation methods, like hot water and soap. And if you can’t change out your mask daily, at least wash it out and sanitize it and let it dry, Just some common sense rules.

Stephen Russell
Stephen Russell
28 days ago

Seat belts U wear when on road, not parked.
Masks U can wear anytime BUT why outdoors?
& I wear only shopping inside, other wise NO mask.
Why do we need mask mandate, dont need RINO help for sure.
Then he wears his mask then.
Notice no Leftist elites or celebs wear masks in public?
No Rosie O Donnell etc NO Mask