Early Monday a shooting reportedly broke out at Kabul airport’s north gate, leaving one Afghan soldier dead and multiple others with injuries. So far, the Taliban has yet to take responsibility for the shooting despite the city and airport being under the Taliban’s control.
Fox News reports:
The reported shooting underscored the dangers international troops and fleeing Afghans continue to face in the city now controlled by the Taliban. The German military said in a tweet that one Afghan security officer was killed and another three were wounded in the early morning incident. The Associated Press, citing the Germans, said that U.S. and German forces also got involved, and that there were no injuries to German soldiers.
The firefight comes days after a stampede at the Kabul airport resulted in a toddler being trampled to death, bringing the death toll above a dozen. Multiple reports have emerged of all-out chaos at the Kabul airport as Americans and Afghan refugees attempt to escape the country and the oppressive rule of the Taliban.
The Daily Wire reports:
The U.K. Defense Ministry revealed the deaths Sunday, and said they were sending their “sincere thoughts” to the families of those who “died in crowds,” reported Yahoo News. While the causes of death remain unclear, one young girl — the daughter of a woman who provided interpreting services to an American company — was crushed to death.
“I felt pure terror,” the woman told The New York Times by phone. She said her whole family was knocked over while trying to reach the gate, and at one point she was kicked in the head. Her daughter was trampled in the chaos. “I couldn’t save her.”
So far, its remained unclear the exact number of Americans trapped in Afghanistan but it’s expected approximately 10,000 to 15,000 remain in the country. On Sunday, President Biden said that while he’s cautiously optimistic that all remaining Americans will be evacuated by his Aug. 31 deadline he would be open to extending operation further, however the Taliban says that is not an option and will have consequences.
The Hill reports:
“It’s a red line. President Biden announced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that,” Taliban spokesperson Suhail Shaheen told Sky News in Qatar’s capital of Doha.
“If the U.S. or U.K. were to seek additional time to continue evacuations – the answer is no. Or there would be consequences,” Shaheen added. “It will create mistrust between us. If they are intent on continuing the occupation it will provoke a reaction.”