Mexico Backs Out of Trump Deal
The New York Post's Mary Kay Linge reports:
Mexico’s president-elect had agreed to a Trump-administration plan that would make Central American asylum-seekers stay on the Mexican side of the border while waiting to be legally admitted to the US, the president had said Saturday.
“All will stay in Mexico,” President Trump tweeted of the plan, designed to stanch the flow of migrant caravans and relieve some of the United States’ most pressing immigration problems.
“If for any reason it becomes necessary, we will CLOSE our Southern Border,” Trump’s tweet said. “There is no way that the United States will, after decades of abuse, put up with this costly and dangerous situation anymore!”
The plan had been negotiated last week by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and other US officials during a meeting in Houston with reps of Mexican President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador, according to The Washington Post.
The denial came Saturday night, after the Washington Post quoted a high-level Mexican official saying that all parties accepted the plan as a "short-term solution."
The tentative agreement intended to end the "catch and release" system long denounced by President Trump that allows migrants seeking asylum in the United States to reside here for years in legal limbo while they wait for a ruling from an immigration judge.