Eye-Opening Poll Paints Grim Picture for Dems
The poll found that 47% currently approve of Trump's handling of the presidency, which is two points better than last month and about where Rasmussen puts him (and nearly identical to Barack Obama's approval at the same point in his presidency, by the way).
On the economy, a crucial indicator for midterms, the results are devastating for Democrats: 69% say the economy is either "very" or "somewhat" strong (just 31% disagree); 68% say their own financial situation is either improving or about the same (just 26% say it's "getting worse"); 58% approve of Trump's work on stimulating job creation, and about the same number, 57%, approve of his handling of the economy.
Overall, 46% say Trump is handling immigration well, which is probably higher than most would have thought, but when specific decisions and policies are cited, it's clear that a strong majority agree with Trump on most of his key stances. A few highlights (h/t Zipperer for pointing out several of these):
- 70% want stricter enforcement of immigration laws
- 63% agree with Trump's DACA compromise
- 73% agree with Trump's reversal of his separation policy
- 61% agree with Trump that our border security is "inadequate"
- 84% side with Trump against sanctuary city policies blocking notification of ICE
- 76% are against the leftist idea of "open borders," and 69% are against the notion of disbanding ICE
- 64% believe those who cross illegally should be sent home, and 61% said even those with children should be sent home
- 55% want to hold illegal immigrants in custody (as opposed to 45% who agree with the Democrats' "catch and release" policy)
- 53% say illegal crossing families with children should be held (47% said they should be released)
- 88% believe parents and children should be held together
- 48% said illegal immigration reduces wages to workers (42% said it has no effect; just 10% said it increases wages)
- 38% said immigration was the most important issue facing the country (the highest percentage of any issue)
The poll also gave Trump high marks for his handling of terrorism and diplomacy.