DHS Boss Accused of Sabotaging Trump's ICE Raids

  • 2019-06-24
  • Source: AAN
  • by: AAN Staff
Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan stands accused of sabotaging President Donald Trump's immigration raids planned to begin Sunday.

Insiders allege McAleenan expressed fierce opposition to the proposed raids, going so far as to leaking plans to the press and ordering top officials to "stand down."

Fox News' Brook Singman reports:
 

A source familiar with the matter told Fox News that when the operation was in its planning phase two weeks ago, McAleenan ordered ICE Acting Director Mark Morgan to call off the deportation operation that was expected to target 2,000 families in up to 10 cities across the country. President Trump, however, ordered that Morgan continue as planned -- until he abruptly announced Saturday he was delaying the raids to see if Congress could work out a solution to the "Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border."

The source told Fox News that Homeland Security officials had been planning the raids since April—prior to former acting ICE director Ron Vitiello's departure from the administration amid a DHS staffing shake-up—and that McAleenan had been opposed to the plans from the start.

"He is the one that wanted to make sure this operation did not go forward," the source told Fox News. "He has been fighting this operation since its inception."

On Friday, The Washington Post published a story with explicit details of the planned raids, citing U.S. officials familiar with the operation. The story, written by Post immigration reporter Nick Miroff, said the raids would take place before dawn, in major cities including Houston, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles. Miroff also reported that the planned raids would begin on Sunday.

 
 Source: AAN
Tags: Issues: Immigration, Crime, AAN Exclusive; Categories:

People, Places & Things

Article Index