BREAKING: Mass Shooting at Airport (UPDATED)
5:36pm: Per Fox News:
NEW: Senior US Military official tells @ckubeNBC that Santiago was being tracked by Army CID for mental issues and was known to FBI.— Tom Winter (@Tom_Winter) January 6, 2017
5:33pm: ABC News is reporting more info on Esteban Santiago:
The suspected shooter was apprehended in possession of a military ID with the name Esteban Santiago, law enforcement sources said. It has not been confirmed if the gunman is Santiago or he was simply carrying Santiago's ID. Authorities have not released the gunman's name. An Esteban Santiago was discharged honorably from the Army National Guard last year, according to the Army criminal investigation division.
The alleged shooter flew from Anchorage, Alaska, to Minneapolis before landing in Fort Lauderdale, senior officials said. He boarded the Anchorage flight last night, the officials said.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a press conference this afternoon that at this point it appears likely the suspected gunman acted alone.
4:53pm: Per Buzzfeed:
US Senator Bill Nelson told MSNBC that the suspected shooter was carrying a military ID — though it’s unsure if it’s his, or authentic — bearing the name Esteban Santiago, born in March 1990. Nelson didn’t say how he got that identification.
Santiago was a former member of the Alaska Army Reserve who went AWOL in March 2015, a US Official told BuzzFeed News.
“The shooter in custody, he is unharmed, no law enforcement fired any shots, the subject is being interviewed by a team of FBI agents and Broward County homicide detectives,” said Sheriff Scott Israel. “The suspect was arrested without incident.”
4:38pm: A man by the name of Esteban Santiago was apparently not on the Air Canada flight in question. This conflicts with report that the shooter grabbed his gun from a checked bag.
We confirm we have no record of a passenger by the name Esteban Santiago, or checked guns, on any of our flights to Fort Lauderdale #FLL 5/5— Air Canada (@AirCanada) January 6, 2017
NBC News: There's no indication so far from any official source that there was a second shooting or second shooter at Fort Lauderdale.— Tom Winter (@Tom_Winter) January 6, 2017
3:07pm: This appears to be the first photo of the shooter:
2:53pm: More on Esteban Santiago, the alleged shooter:
There are conflicting reports about gunmen being in the parking garage and in one of the terminals. We'll update as soon as we have clarity.
BREAKING: TSA says there is now ANOTHER active shooter alert at Fort Lauderdale airport https://t.co/5phwxqrk1b— Sabina Kuriakose (@SabinaKuriakose) January 6, 2017
2:43pm: The suspect has been identified:
BREAKING: FLL gunman is Esteban Santiago, carried military ID, handgun https://t.co/F5Chcrdh9Q— Justin Miller (@justinjm1) January 6, 2017
2:40pm: There were reports that the shooter was in custody, but now it appears that those were either false or there's ANOTHER situation:
Something else is happening at Ft. Lauderdale. Eyewitness on Fox News saying that people are being told to get down on the ground.— neontaster (@neontaster) January 6, 2017
A shooting has reportedly happened at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport.
Sources tell MSNBC that nine were shot and one person has died. The shooter is also reportedly in custody.
Video from the airport Friday afternoon showed hundreds of passengers corralled together on the tarmac with emergency vehicles parked outside the terminal with lights flashing.
The airport is on lockdown. We'll have more information as it becomes available.